Categories

 Loading... Please wait...

Lacas Coffee

Two immigrant brothers, Constantine and George Lacas, arrived in the United States in 1919. With the training and guidance of family members in New York City, the brothers decided to venture into the coffee business in Philadelphia. In 1921 they started a small coffee distribution business in a basement store at 10th and Arch Streets. The brothers blended, ground and packed all the coffees by hand, and they sold and delivered coffee door-to-door using public transportation.

After World War II, the second generation of Lacas family entered the business.

With brothers Constantine (Gus) and Phokion, and later cousin Phokion C. Lacas, the business continued to grow. When the company was faced with finding a larger facility, 1008-1016 Wood Street in Philadelphia became Lacas Coffee’s home for more than 50 years. The second generation had the vision that this building would fulfill their dreams of a place for a coffee roaster, automated scales and new, state-of-the-art packaging equipment. In time, each piece of the dream was placed into production.

Categories

Sign up to our newsletter